Tuesday, May 12, 2009

co-writing with children

In the notes for my songwriting workshop in Saskatoon I wrote that my cousin Marilou and I co-wrote a piano duet called “Easter Sunrise” and performed it in church when we were very young. In the next paragraph I said “my first real taste of co-writing” happened in Grade 12 at Caronport. Reviewing my notes, I realized how shortsighted this is, devaluing children’s music and creativity. So I corrected it in the workshop, pointing out my adult arrogance. I’ve been co-writing a lot lately with children: nieces, nephews, friends. Not only do we have fun, we compose some pretty significant words and tunes.

I asked the workshop participants to tell their name and their favourite song (lately). Florence couldn’t think of any popular songs, but recalled the little tunes her daughters used to make up and sang one for us that stays with her years later.

Jeremy (eight) takes “musical play” lessons with me. We do a wide variety of activities without studying anything in particular. We started out doing rhythm and fun little songs. One day he asked about the names of notes on a staff, so I got a workbook and we focused on that for a few weeks. The workbook had little stories about composers, which we read, and I gave Jeremy assignments from them, such as looking up the instruments one composer played before he was 11. Jeremy looked up the pipe organ, harpsichord, violin and oboe, printed off the pictures (even some Wikipedia articles) and taped them into his music binder. We discovered Jeremy’s passion for pipe organs and indulged that for awhile. For the past 3 weeks we have been working on a song about the seasons. Today he took paper and pencil and worked very hard at the lyrics and structure. I wasn’t allowed to play that song until he was ready, and when I did play it, he had strong arrangement ideas. Delightful and a bit surprising.

On Sunday evening I sang at the Mother’s Day banquet at Arlington Beach. One song on my set list was co-written with my cousin’s daughter Keisha (who calls me “auntie”). Sunday morning I was in Saskatoon and sang the song for my friend Janina and her girls and they inspired verse two.

Every morning when I go to school
My mommy hugs me and she kisses me, too

She says, “I love you” and I say, “I love you, too.” (repeat)


Then she tells me, “Have a good day.”
And I say, “I will.” (repeat)


Every morning when he goes to work

My daddy hugs me and he kisses me, too

He says, “I love you” and I say, “I love you, too.” (repeat)


Then he tells me, “Have a good day.”

And I say, “I will.” (repeat)

1 comment:

Bryan Moyer Suderman said...

This is really neat to hear. Co-writing is not something I've ever really done. What are the chances of being able to hear some of these songs some day? Do you have any recording plans?