Saturday, May 23, 2009

artful adventures

It's been an creative week and a half: developing my own gifts and talents; nurturing and celebrating those of my friends.

Theatre: You Still Can't
Written & directed by Ron Reed
Pacific Theatre
until June 13

Attended the preview with my cousin Amy on Thursday, May 16. Her boyfriend Tim has a main role.

Hilarious. It's a sequel to "You Can't Take It With You" by Ron Reed, but you don't need to see the first play to understand and appreciate this show.



FILM: Pop Switch
Director Jason R. Goode
Annunciation Pictures

On Thursday the 21st, it was an honour to attend the screening of five short films that received significant funding from the Directors Guild of Canada through their Kick Start program.

All of the films were amazing. Very diverse.







ART: Seeing the Saviour
A CIVA traveling exhibition
Regent College Lookout Gallery
until June 3

Regent College consistently brings in high quality art installations. This one does not disappoint. I had my friend's two small daughters with me. Evelyn (4) was immediately drawn to this painting. I was impressed that she knew, without any prompting, that this was the angel telling Mary that she was going to have a baby named Jesus. When I asked what else she say, Evelyn pointed: "I see a cat. And she's having tea."

When Kathleen looked at the promotional card, she noted the peace lilies beside Mary: a common image in Annunciation pictures.

I'm struck by the book on the floor and Mary's hand on her chest: what a shock that experience must have been!

BOOKS: Regent Bookstore

Spent some lovely time on Friday afternoon, browsing the shelves, then sitting down in the atrium with my armload to decide what to buy and what to leave. Came away with some Karl Barth, Wendell Berry, Annie Dillard, Henri Nouwen.

Of course, I had to have one nice cup of coffee at Regent.

BOOK: Ish by Peter Reynolds

If you're feeling unsure of your artistic impulses or if you need help with encouraging the artists in your life, this sweet, simple book is for you.

Thanks to Sherry for introducing it to me.



CONFERENCE: UIW, Burnaby

There so much one person can do in a week and a half, so I didn't actually attend this conference, but I did get to spend some time talking with my friend Duffy Lott Gibb about the two workshops she presented there: "Artists Among Us" and "The Body Ministry."

1 comment:

Janina said...

We LOVE Ish in this house.