Tuesday, April 6, 2010

inspiration vs obedience?

j0285307 Writing is so much less about inspiration than it is about obedience. People say, ‘I don’t write unless I’m inspired,’ and that just makes me annoyed. I don’t think there’s ever been a time when I was inspired. I just open the files and sit there and work until something comes. I’ve written about a hundred poems and I think about two of them ‘just showed up.’

~ conversation with Sue Plett, poet, poetry teacher, blogger 

image “Show up every day. The blank page will teach you to write.”

~ conversation with Brooks Williams , singer-songwriter

image "I do not so much write a book as sit up with it, as a dying friend. I hold its hand and hope it will get better."

“The page, the page, that eternal blankness, the blankness of eternity which you cover slowly, affirming time's scrawl as a right and your daring as a necessity; the page, which you cover woodenly. . . .”

~ Annie Dillard, The Writing Life

CB101513

You might also like this post: 

What I Wish He’d Said

 

No comments: