Wednesday, October 7, 2009

music & hospitality

I thought Bryan would be shorter. He’s tall. Much taller than I expected.

 

We had never met in person before. I first read about him in the print version of Faith Today magazine (in an article by another friend I have never met in person—Emily Wierenga). I liked his ministry model, so ‘googled’ him and found a website, a blog, and a site devoted to his ministry model, CSA (Community Supported Arts).  After browsing and reading quite a bit, I sent a message and we started corresponding. We exchanged CDs. I purchased a membership and started receiving his deliveries of new songs every three months. I was a guest artist on two deliveries. I have used three of his songs in my church. When he did a concert last year just up the road in Drake, I wished there wasn’t already something on my calendar that day. When he was planning his current tour, I agreed to host him in Duval. Little wee Duval.

 

So on Sunday, I picked Bryan up in Regina after church and my brother Jeffrey and I hosted a house concert, with a potluck beforehand. It was a most wonderful evening. We intended to have it in the old United Church, but it ran out of heating oil at the last minute, so we relocated to our place, the old school. It was cozy, but there were enough people to make for a rousing, inspiring good time.

 

On Monday I drove Bryan to Lanigan where I handed him off to a Patrick from Nutana Park Mennonite Church. We had such good visits about music and ministry and some of our favourite authors, like Wendell Berry. I’m soooo glad we finally got to meet in person and I hope he can come back to Duval again someday.

 

Bryan wrote about his visit already, complete with a couple of pictures: http://smalltallmusings.blogspot.com/2009/10/surrounded-by-art.html  

 

No comments: