Saturday, October 17, 2009

100 little things, 1000 gifts

“Gratitude is a huge theme in the Bible. I try to be thankful for the 100 little things that go right in a day instead of focusing on the 3 or 4 that go wrong.” A. J. Jacobs

Driving home on Thursday, I listened to “Ideas” on CBC Radio One. The topic was the Dead Sea Scrolls, and one was A. J. Jacobs, who experimented with one year of “living biblically” by following every command in the Bible. Among the things he learned was the importance of gratitude.

This reminded me of Ann Voskamp’s Gratitude Community.

holy experience

It’s not Monday, but today I will begin. “A List of a Thousand Things, beginning with #1.” It takes eyes to see, Open Eyes to notice the good things that are all around.

1. For his touch.

2. For my brother Jeffrey.

3. For Jeffrey’s fiancé Nadia.

3. For my brother Tom and his wife & their 3 kids.

4. For my sister Jaime, her husband, their 4 kids.

5. For my sister Starla.

6. For my parents.

7. For a warm place to live.

8. For options and possibilities.

9. For friends who love me.

10. For food to eat.

… to be continued …

 

No comments: