Friday, January 29, 2010

say yes for a change

So I had an epiphany over coffee this afternoon (Thurs): I AM going to Breakforth this weekend.

I had been waffling on it quite badly. A story in Ladies Who Launch was the clincher:

The owner of a newly launched brand of baby clothes is toiling away in her San Francisco town house. With two little kids and a husband, she has her hands full starting a company, especially because she has no background in retail. A friend invites her to Los Angeles for a girls’ spa getaway weekend. Looking around at her messy kitchen and three weeks’ worth of unopened mail, and remembering a PTA meeting and an appointment with the cable guy, she grimaces. How could she leave with so much to deal with? But being a yes, as she’d been told to be in her Incubator, was on her mind. She booked the ticket. Her husband took the kids, the cable guy was rescheduled, the dishes stayed dirty, and the mail remained unopened, but guess what? While in Los Angeles, she met a rep for infant and baby gear, saw a handful of stores who could potentially carry her brand, reconnected with a high school friend who agreed to design her Web site, and spend four solid hours fully relaxed, something she’d not experienced since her first baby was born! She arrived home feeling stronger, invigorated about her fledgling business and, ready to take on the kids, the kitchen, and the bills, and all without neck tension or the feeling of impending doom. Her radiance and rejuvenated demeanor were indescribably attractive. Sometimes movement is small. Sometimes it’s big. Yes puts out a different signal, propels you, and is likely to attract different opportunities. You usually can’t imagine what until you start saying it! (page 191)

Last spring I had a similar reticence over attending Serve at Briercrest, but my friend Lorilee spoke firmly and practically forced me to go. She was right and it turned out to be an important weekend in myriad ways.

I wonder if this is a similar situation. I know I’ll see old friends. I know I’ll meet new friends. I know there will be nourishing sessions and important connections. I’ve just been so exhausted. Lord, refresh me … please … for your glory.

No comments: