Wednesday, March 4, 2009

that lane called memory

Yesterday a CD arrived in the mail: my Regent College thesis recording (1998) as remastered by Otto Guggemos who is in Germany!

 

Otto played bass and mandolin in my thesis concert. A few months ago he contacted me out of the blue and did this remastering on his own initiative. Even more amazing: just one day before receiving Otto’s first email I had thought, "I should find my thesis tape and listen to it again."

 

Hmmm ... do you suppose that could have been a God-incidence?

 

Yesterday the new master CDs arrived in the mail, complete with photocopies of a very nice cover that Otto & his wife designed, with pictures I've never seen before of the band’s practice before the performance that Friday morning, credits, and this lovely paragraph:

 

"In 1998 Colleen Taylor finished her thesis project on Mennonite women poets with a concert featuring her own songs and poems. It was absolutely thrilling to play in this band. We had played together in chapel quite a few times, and this was our last gig together. Most of us were leaving to be servants of the Word of God all over the world.”

 

Tonight I walked that lane called memory, listening to the songs, poems, harmonies, instrumentation. I miss playing with a band. I loved playing and singing with these particular people -- with you et al. Sometimes memories feel like yesterday. I can't say that this one does? Some things come back to me, but what this really feels like is a beautiful dream.

No comments: