Sunday, February 22, 2009

teaching songwriting in May

On May 8th, I’ll be teaching a songwriting workshop at Write! Saskatoon. Please come!

 

Last summer I taught some writing workshops for teens at Arlington Beach Camp, including a couple of sessions on songwriting. So much fun.

 

During the Minus 40 Tour, Dara Hallett and I taught a worship and songwriting workshop in Weyburn. We loved the experience.

 

In the past 6 months I feel like my songwriting creativity has been awakened again after a few years of significant dormancy. Everywhere I go I listen for lyrical phrases and musical ideas and think, “That could be a song. Oh, that could be a song. Mmmm, that could be a song.” Where other people write prose, I see poetry and lyrics. There is absolutely not enough time to write down and/or record all the verse, melody, and harmony that I see and hear!

 

I’ve especially been happy to discover the joy and richness of collaboration. It’s a privilege to be able to share some of what I’ve learned with other songwriters.

1 comment:

Janina said...

Ok, this is beyond exciting! Fantastic!